Lucy and Jane - by Melissa Taggart

https://Voice.club - Lucy had always been a dreamer. Each street corner and familiar face held a piece of her past. As she walked down Penny Lane, she remembered the days when she and her friends gathered around an old record player, listening to their favorite band, The Beatles.

She dusted off a forgotten box of keepsakes. Inside, she discovered a worn-out journal filled with teenage musings, concert tickets, and a photograph of her and her best friend.

As she flipped through the pages, she came across the lyrics to “In My Life,” scrawled in her handwriting. The song had always held a special place in her heart, capturing the essence of her life’s journey. She could almost hear the melody playing softly, John Lennon’s voice resonating in her ears.

“There are places I’ll remember all my life, though some have changed,” she read aloud. A constant companion, echoing her sentiments perfectly.

She recalled the rainy afternoon she first heard it. She and Jane had sought refuge in a cafe, listening to the song in silence, each lost in their thoughts.

Years had passed since those carefree days. Jane moved to the city to chase her dreams, while Lucy remained, finding contentment in her hometown. Despite the distance, they stayed close.

On a whim, Lucy visited Jane. She packed a bag, tucked the journal under her arm, and headed to the city. When she arrived, Jane was waiting at the train station, her smile as bright as ever. They embraced, as if no time had passed.

They sat on Jane’s balcony, watching the twinkling lights. Lucy showed Jane the journal, and they shared stories and evocations until they came to the lyrics.

Jane smiled. “I remember the first time we heard this song. It’s like it was written just for us.”

Lucy nodded, eyes fulgent with tears. “It’s been with me through everything.”

In that moment, Lucy knew that no matter where life took her, she would always carry a piece of her heart in the places she remembered, and in the friends who had walked with her along the way.

Melissa, I love how the song by the Beatles resonates throughout your story. I love the poetic feeling in this line, “Each street corner and familiar face held a piece of her past.”

1 Like

Great story, Melissa! I remember this song very well.

Dr. Larry Whatley was my composition teacher at Brevard College in the mid 1960s, who loved to play “name that tune” in our music classes. Any of us could play a few notes of a piece and see who could name the tune, the composer, the musical era and any other exciting information.

Dr. Whatley also hated “pop” music and considered classical music as the only “real” music. So as soon as I heard the piano solo on “In My Life”, I hatched a plan.

I listened and practiced, listened and practiced until I could play the solo as well as George Martin. Then on “name that tune” day, I played it. All of the students knew the song so they were stifling their giggles. But Dr. Whatley, puffed up with pride, announced - “That’s a little-known Bach piece in A major. Baroque period. An example written to teach his sons.”

“Nope!” I answered. “That’s John Lennon and Paul McCartney, from their 1965 album Rubber Soul! At least you got the key right.” The class erupted into laughter. I was persona non grata with Dr. Whatley for quite a while, but he later grudgingly admitted that some of the Beatles music was quite good.

Your story made me smile with fondness and brought back the memory of dear Dr. Whatley, one of my favorite of all teachers!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this story with me, Julie. It made me smile.

These lyrics were on my wall as a child. Every day I sat down in the living room to eat, watch tv or have a conversation with my mom or siblings- I would read it. My father was a massive fan of The Beatles. When asked why it was there, he always told me, “this is how I feel about your mother. No other friend could compare.”

I am a millennial but grew up in a household listening daily to music from the 50s to the 80s. He always had something playing. I look at classical rock as the backdrop of my childhood. I ofttimes believe I had to be born in the wrong decade. I miss my dad terribly but he’s always with me when I listen to this song especially, :heart:

Thank you, Margarida! It’s a very special song to me. I’m glad you liked it.

Oh Melissa, what a moving comment about your dad. How wonderful to live in a home where there was so much love. I feel like I’ve come to know your dad through your stories, and now even more through this comment. I know how much you miss him - my own dear father died in 2015, but like you, I always feel him with me. We were lucky to have such beautiful parents!

1 Like

Wow! Your story makes me research the song by the Beatles, “In My Life.” I also love it. And, oh, the intro. I love the intro: “There are places I’ll remember all my life." The song bring back memories.

1 Like

The song is certainly beautiful. The opening line gets me every time I listen to it :smiling_face_with_tear: :heart:

1 Like

Certainly, Margarida.