The Vintage Mirror - by Melissa Taggart

https://Voice.club - Samantha’s antique shop was a realm where time wove its secrets into the very fabric of the air. Shelves bowed under the weight of ornate clocks, porcelain dolls, and heirlooms that whispered of bygone eras. She was proud of the shop’s centerpiece—a magnificent, vintage mirror with an intricate gold frame, rumored to have been crafted in the late 1800s.

Every day, she polished the mirror, captivated by its allure. But lately, she noticed something peculiar. Each time she glanced into its glass, a fleeting penumbra seemed to dart behind her, always vanishing before she could turn. She brushed it off as a trick of the light, a consequence of her long hours and the dim, flickering bulbs.

One rainy afternoon, an elderly man, stooped with age and draped in a musty coat, shuffled into the shop. His eyes immediately fixed on the mirror, and a shiver coursed through Samantha.

“This mirror,” he said, voice raspy, “was my great-grandmother’s. She was a renowned medium. Legend has it she trapped spirits within it.”

Samantha’s heart raced. “Spirits?”

The man nodded. “She believed mirrors were portals to the other side. This one was her most powerful.”

After he left, the silhouettes seemed more frequent, more tangible. That night, Samantha stayed late, determined to confront her growing disquiet. As she gazed into the mirror, the surrounding shop faded, replaced by a murky, vaporous landscape. A figure emerged—herself, but different. This doppelgänger wore an old-fashioned gown and a wicked smile.

“Who are you?” Samantha whispered.

“I am you,” the reflection replied, voice echoing from a century past. “Trapped here long ago.”

Panic gripped Samantha as she tried to pull away, but her reflection moved closer, reaching out. Cold fingers wrapped around hers, pulling her into the mirror’s depths.

The next morning, the shop stood silent. The mirror, now unpolished and dull, reflected nothing but dust and shadows. Samantha’s fate, entwined with the vintage glass, became another secret woven into the air, whispering to those who dared to look too closely.

Hello Melissa - Wow, what a great story! You combined two of my favorite themes - vintage antiques and the supernatural - all in one spell-binding story. I’ve always had a fascination with mirrors as well, so this tale is triply gripping!

It’s so good to have you back. I always look forward to anything you write. Take care, and keep creating these memorable stories!

1 Like

Hello Julie- I’m happy to hear you enjoyed this story! Mirrors, especially at night, I’ve always found creepy! Everyone probably knows by now that I love the Victorian era, the ‘vintage’ prompt i kind of my dream come true.

Thank you for your kind words once again!

It is a nerve-jerking piece, Melissa. I remember my old story “Mirror! Mirror! On the Wall,” but this one is something different and special with its vintage antiques. Oh! I love it.

Wonderful as always to hear from you again, Melissa! Your extremely spooky story hooked me in immediately by this lovely line, “a realm where time wove its secrets into the very fabric of the air.”
How clever and stylish of you to close,echoing similar words. “another secret woven into the air.”
Absolutely love this story. Very clever and engaging story!

1 Like

Thank you for your words, Margarida! I’m glad you enjoyed the story! I kind of default to the spookier stories when writing. Who doesn’t enjoy a little scare?

A truly ‘shivers down the spine’ story, Melissa, wonderfully written, as always. I agree with Margarida, the closing sentence is genius. Lovely to have you back, you have been missed.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment, Linda. I’m happy to be back and around all of you wonderful people. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations, Melissa, on your story getting second place in the “Vintage” contest. And thanks for that wonderful prompt - I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stories inspired by that prompt, as well as writing about another period of time. I hope you’re doing well, and will be writing more wonderful stories!

1 Like

Thank you, Julie! This is a cool thing to hear!

Hi Melissa - I am returning to Voice.club after being pulled away from writing by life situations, and it’s really nice to be back on the “write” track - haha :slight_smile:

It’s great to see you back again, since I have enjoyed your stories for years now. I still remember one of your early stories “King Conch” that was quite touching.

Congrats on your recent “Vintage” contest placement, and seeing everyone here gives me motivation to break out of my writers block!

2 Likes

Hello Chris! It’s good to have you back! Thank you or your kind words and mentioning “King Conch”. I’m excited to read your new stories! The “block” will be fleeting, I’m sure.

1 Like