Creativity Challenge for Writers - 2024-Summer

@MargaridaBrei @DeborahGoulding @JulieRHarris @SusanGiles @Regina @SharonSpivak @LindaRock @Lotchie @JulianKern @JosephRoland @Chris @MariannaPieterse @LuckySharma @MelissaTaggart @ThompsonEmate

2024.08.21 - NEW CREATIVITY CHALLENGE

Limericks are always fun, and great practice for writers!

In case anyone doesn’t know, limericks are five-line rhyming poems, usually humorous or silly, with a rhyming scheme of AABBA. The first, second and fifth lines have the same rhythm and all rhyme with each other, and lines three and four are shorter and have a different rhyme.

Just for fun and to exercise the silly portions of our brains, why don’t we create some Limericks Related to Writing?

Post as many limericks as you want - the more the merrier!

Thanks, Deborah, for always keeping me higher. I really appreciate that. You are a good writer too; I am always learning from you and others here. You guys always motivate and inspire me to do and be better.

Wow! Oh, hello, Sharon. Welcome to the voice club. Your piece is rhythming so much to my senses. I enjoyed it and loved it so much.

Oh! Linda. This is great. I love it.

I awake in the morning to song
Feeling nothing today can go wrong.
Though my dreams make me stray,
I return every day
For I know I’m right where I belong.

2 Likes

Susan , These words are a sweet way to begin your day! I love it! It will take my brain a long time to compose something. Btw, your ending to the ‘Message in a Bottle’ was spot on!!

Two people who share one mind
They may not be as kind.
I wish to flee,
This can’t be
Common ground, they shall find.

1 Like

There was a dumfungled man of Ing
Who tried and tried his hand at writing.
Asked about his success,
Replied full of stress,
Leave it to Voice.Club; stop nail-biting.

I know limericks are humorous stanzas of five lines rhyming AABBA ending in a punch line.
The first, second and fifth line have between eight to nine syllables.
The third and fourth line have five to six syllables
An anapest is two unstressed syllables then a stressed syllable.
Lines one, two and five have three anapests.
Lines three and four have two anapests.

Apologies, but I am rather clueless about anapests!

1 Like

Returning to where we belong is always special to each of us. It fills our hearts with joy and serenity. Nice one, Susan.

In writing short stories or long
I find myself struggling along.
Is it this word or that?
The choices seem flat
Till awl words eye right down our wrong.

1 Like

A girl with a passion to write
Scribbles furiously into the night
Exploring her craft
Draft after draft
By morning the end is in sight

1 Like

Good job, Deborah. These are fun, aren’t they?

@MargaridaBrei @DeborahGoulding @JulieRHarris @SusanGiles @Regina @SharonSpivak @LindaRock @Lotchie @JulianKern @JosephRoland @Chris @MariannaPieterse @LuckySharma @MelissaTaggart @ThompsonEmate

“I’ve done it!” she cried with elation.
“I’ve conquered my procrastination.”
The world will be smitten-
I’ve finally written
One word of my finest creation!

PS: If you include name tags (names preceded by @) then each of those people will get an email saying there is a new reply ready for them to read! @Lotchie taught me that! I just copied the ones that SoftArt Team used when describing the limerick challenge.

1 Like

Wow, Margarida - your limerick is great! I wouldn’t worry too much about the anapests. I’ve read tons of great limericks that just barely met the “requirements”, which I think are more like “guidelines” anyway.

I love your “ing” rhymes!

Love it, Linda! Sounds very familiar. Except, sometimes, in the cold light of day, what seemed brilliant at midnight seems flat at dawn. Sigh.

Chuckle! Your last line looks like some of my writing when I haven’t had enough sleep!

Good job!

Thank you, Deborah, for your kind words on my limerick. It’s always fun to take on a new challenge, then extra fun to see how others approach the same challenge.

Thank you, also for your compliment on Message in a Bottle. Another fun way to write through collaboration! I look forward to collaborating with you and others again.

A handsome young peasant from Kent
Wrote love songs in iambic pent.
The princess who read 'em
Decided to bed 'im,
So off to the chapel they went.

His Highness, the king, was bereft
When his daughter just picked up and left.
Aghast at the marriage,
He sent out his carriage,
And tested his sword for its heft.

“It’s not that he’s common,” he said.
“That is not why I’ll strike the man dead!”
“It’s all that iambic -
It makes a man panic,
I like trochaic poems instead!”

Moral: Be careful of your rhythm patterns when courting a royal princess whose temperamental father is a literary critic!

1 Like

Laugh like as if it’s your last

Laugh like louder than the blast

Laugh like as you own your jet

Laugh like as you won the bet

Laugh like as you have no past

The cerise obese niece from Caprice
Sublease to write Greece’s masterpiece.
She hemmed and hawed being bored,
Impossible to record
So squashed her words in an old valise.