Creativity Challenge for Writers - 2024-Summer

Creativity is contagious!

When you play word games or engage in creativity challenges, you get inspired, and also inspire others. We invite you to participate frequently, as you increase your vocabulary, think outside the box, and develop your writing and skills of observation.

@Voice.club-VIP @JulianKern @MariannaPieterse @JosephRoland @LuckySharma

CREATIVITY CHALLENGE 2024.08.09 - “Tack”

The English language is rich with words that have multiple meanings. One such word is “tack”.

Your challenge: Use “tack” in a variety of ways, one sentence or phrase per different meaning; the sentences or phrases don’t have to be connected in any way. Extra credit: Do the same with “tacky”.

Your final response will be a list of sentences or phrases using “tack” or “tacky”, each with a different meaning.

Have fun!

1 Like

I thought it necessary to think of brass tacks while on my sail boat. I sorted through the small sharp tacks looking for ones that were not rusty. I needed to tack down the sail. I admired my wife’s long tacks on the sail. This brought up the question had she remembered all of her tack for horse riding. If not there were several tacks of dealing with this problem. The boat’s tack was perfect. It was on the starboard tack.
The scorching sun made me feel hot and tacky. However, I was proud there was nothing tacky about my sailing boat.

2 Likes

Tack me in. Tack me out. I am just messing around. I had never painted a tacky color on my wings yet. I am not yet ready to fly. But who knows, time is a constant change. Maybe tomorrow, the other day, or someday is the perfect day to spread my wings, tack in my feathers, and fly higher than today. My time will come to shine and succeed in my life.

1 Like

Wow, Margarida. I must say I’m impressed. Let me try my hand at this …

Brenda’s my best friend, but she’s dreadfully tacky. She just doesn’t have any dress sense; I’ll have to take a new tack with her. I grab one of her boring tops, cut a deeper “v” neck, tack see-through lace into the decolletage. I muss up her just-so hair, pull it up from her neck, tack it into a loose pony tail with a few wild curls dangling loose. After a few dabs of tasteful eye and lip liner, I do a photo shoot and tack the best shots up on the school bulletin board.

The next weekend she sends me selfies from Rob’s sailboat, where she’s learning to tack and jibe. “You go, girl”, I write, tacking the message to her old pink book bag.

1 Like

OUCH! I stepped on a tack!
Just tack this on the bulletin board, please.
Yuck! This table feels tacky!
Don’t “tack” behind my back!
Let’s play Tic-Tack-Toe!
I can pierce your ear with this tack.
And I can tack your lips together with this stapler!
Jackie Tacky’s little brown duck goes “Quacky, Quacky!”
Holy Moley, look at the ears on that baby! You’ll be wantin’ to tack them back!

2 Likes

Enjoyed this very much, made me smile!
Great job!

1 Like

Learning to tack in my school’s sewing lesson was the most mind-dumbing experience imaginable and is why I have never picked up a needle again.

It is on par with hammering in one tack after another during Woodwork, in a gallant effort to produce the humble egg rack.

Sailing nearly finished me off completely when high winds almost scuppered our boat, forcing us to tack repeatedly back to dry land.

Stopping by the tack shop to pick up my riding hat, I must admit to feeling very upper-class and special, but that was before the horse threw me.

The phrase ‘like watching paint dry’ reminds me of my sticky artwork that suffered from a spot of paint overload and was forever tacky.

Parent’s evenings were always fraught due to Mum’s taste in fashion but if any kid called it tacky they had me to answer to.

Sometimes Mum’s embarrassing responses to my teachers’ critique of me did earn her the term ‘tacky, but they all seemed to warm to her.

In conclusion, I would like to tack on that although my school days may not have been the best days of my life, as Mum would call them, I did learn to read and write and for that I am eternally grateful.

So, a little tack coupled with a measured helping of tacky did me no harm at all!

Why, thank her kindly, Maam! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oops, I just saw that I made a punctuation error!

The last sentence in my “tack/tacky” attempt should begin with “You go, girl,” I write … Comma inside the closing quotes, just like my English teacher mother drummed into me.

Oh my gosh Sharon, that’s hilarious. So creative!

Wow, Linda - you somehow managed to tell us an entire story centered around the “tack/tacky” duo. School Day Soliloquy is so much fun to read! I just made up that title, but it fits, don’t you think?

It fits perfectly, Julie! It was fun writing this!

I love this Julie, Brenda should be very grateful to her friend!

This was a fun read for the ‘tack and tacky’ challenge! I wish to be on that sailboat! Your description was realistic! An entertaining take on this word challenge. Well done!!

Perfect Lotchie! Your time is anytime to spread your wings and fly! You are such a good writer! You have a way of writing so naturally! You have a good balance of show and tell. I still lean on tell more than show. This works for me and my stories. Keep this talent of yours going! You seem to be wise beyond years!

1 Like

Linda, that was an excellent read on the challenge! I loved each phrase. Great job!

Julie, I agree with Linda’s comment. Brenda was fortunate to have a friend that cared.

Thank you, Deborah! All fiction of course except for the sewing and woodwork. I did manage to make the egg rack which ended its days confined to the back of the pantry!

I looked up “tack” in the Cambridge Dictionary and was shocked by the different meanings. There were lots associated with sailing so I used this theme. Thanks for reading.