Skating Under the Stars - by Susan Giles

https://Voice.club - “Race you to the other side of the ice!” Thomas Ed laughs as he flicks snow from an overhanging branch onto my head.

“Oh, you! Go!” Shivering from the cold, I set off on my ice skates across the stretch of ice without waiting for my brother’s reply.
This is an almost daily occurrence for us. After the school bus drops us off, my siblings and I walk the rest of the way home through the twilight. Trading schoolbooks for a quick snack, and slinging ice skates over shoulders, we hurry back down the road to our destination: our private ice rink. A mile from our house a natural depression needs only the addition of water and a drop in temperature to create our skating haven.

The rink is encircled by trees - stately spruce with pale green reindeer moss swaying from its limbs, a stand of birch still braving the cold, summer’s coat of leaves left behind. From one branch hangs an oil lantern whose flickering light flings shadows all around on ice and snow as evening advances.

Every Monday through Friday, an hour or so each day, we skate. The vibrating skates beneath our feet combine with the sharp tang of tree sap and snow-laden air to transport us to another world as we twirl joyfully around the rink. We are mesmerized by the “theater of thrills” from the radio show Suspense broadcast through our small transistor radio. We shiver, not just from the cold.

As darkness begins to surround us, we look up. Clear skies guarantee a view of constellations including Gemini, Orion, and of course Ursa Minor whose North Star glimmers in the cold night air seeming to dance to music only stars can hear.

I close my eyes and feel the song of the stars thrumming around and through us.

We skate until the oil in the lantern is almost gone, then remove ice skates, radio, and lantern from the scene and contentedly make our way through the snowy twilight to home where Mom awaits with a hot meal.

1 Like

Oh! Hello, Susan. This is one of my dreams: to experience skating and to touch the real snow. How joyful to imagine playing in the snow!

Thank you, Susan for bringing a joyful scene of innocence, fun and simpler times to the reader. I really enjoyed the sweet descriptions of the snow and the appeal to my senses. I almost wish I was there, but then again I hate the cold. Tender fulfilling writing!

Playing in the snow was a joy not fully appreciated at the time. I do remember Mother telling us we could play in the snow until the temperature dropped to a certain point. One of the four of us would breathe our hot air on the sensor bulb at the base of the thermometer so we could stay outside and play even longer!

I hope you do get to experience these sensations and make similar memories of your own.

1 Like

I am hoping that too. That would be a wonderful experience, Susan.

Thank you, Margarida, for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate my writing begin call “tender” and “fulfilling”. Both adjectives make me smile.

Thanks again.

Hello, Susan. What a beautiful story matched with a beautiful picture. I love myself a warm summer but what I wouldn’t do for a skate under the stars! Beautifully written. You captured the feeling of innocence in your words.

Thank you, Melissa for reading and commenting on my story. I remember this experience as one of pure innocence and am gratified that I portrayed this feeling through my words. My hope is that someday you, too, will be able to experience skating under the stars.

1 Like